Thursday, February 26, 2015

'Love Rosie' Movie Review

This Tuesday(2-9-15), I had the most amazing and incredible experience, of watching the movie, Love, Rosie, in theaters. And let me tell you, it was just about as magical as the book.
Love, Rosie (2015)
Starring: Lilly Collins, Sam Claflin, Christian Cooke, Jamie Winstone, Suki Waterhouse, and Lily Laight.

Synopsis: Rosie and Alex are best friends until Alex's family moves to America. They gamble everything to keep their love and friendship alive over the years and miles.

Again! With the terrible synopsis's! Argh, I'll make this one quick.

Rosie and Alex have been best friends ever since they were just tots. As they grow older, they both realize they have feelings for each other, though neither of them ever have the guts to say it. They put everything into their relationship, trying to keep it alive throughout the years and miles, and waiting for the moment where their feelings catch up with them.

So let me tell you, around summer '14, I saw the trailer for this movie, speechless by the 3 minutes of glory that I endured, I almost jumped for joy when I found out it was based on a book. Naturally, I put it on hold and read it (Where Rainbows End, By Cecelia Ahern). It was my all time favorite, I was screaming at the thought of seeing the movie. So I endured, months and months of zero talk about the movie, until coming January, the date for the release of it in theaters, came out. Long story short, I endured another month of wait, until I could see it (In select theaters, to my dismay)
I begged my mom to take me (By the grace of God, it was playing at a theater a couple minutes away), and though it felt like we never were going to, the day came and we found a time that we could.

THIS MOVIE WAS INCREDIBLE. My opinion on it can definitely be stated as biased, seeing that Lilly Collins and Sam Claflin are two of my favorite actors, and the book is my favorite, but either way, I will highly suggest that you see the movie

Anyways, onto the actual movie, the quality, acting- goodness; everything, about that movie was incredible. Though, like all movies based on books, a TON of things were changed. But seeing that the book takes place over a 35+ year time elapse, I would say they had to cut somethings out and make changes.

First I would like to go on about the cute and hilarious friendship between Rosie and Alex, it's a relationship that holds itself together for so long. That has so much openness, that allows them both to speak their mind. One where they can completely act like themselves around each other, where they both know every quirk about one another. They are incredible to watch on screen together, their chemistry as actors(and characters) is a joy to watch. They both play off each other perfectly.
Probably my second favorite thing about the movie (More the relationships in the movie) is how real Rosie's relationship is with her daughter Katie. As a single mother, she really does have to do most of everything on her own, and she keeps her relationship with Katie amazingly. Throughout the movie, you can see how much she cares for her (Which is one thing from the book that they really kept true to itself), I can't really explain any of it, honestly its something that you have to see for yourself. But it really is something that I enjoyed about the movie, its also something that my mother also highly enjoyed about it, because you can tell that they didn't shy away from all of it, it's a big part of the movie and something that is shown to really mean something to Rosie.

Personally, as much as I loved this movie (And don't even start me, I loved the movie), but this particular movie, I am finding trouble writing a review for, I feel like this is a movie that you have to watch (Or read Definitely read it) to fully get/understand it. 

The only real problem I had with the movie, that I am going to point out, is how much emotion you miss out on, don't get me wrong, they had so much emotion in it, it was incredible how much they managed to portray (Lily Collins plays Rosie's emotions and heartache perfectly), but like I said with watching the movie, you aren't able to see the in depth thoughts of Rosie and Alex's thoughts that you can in the book. So if you are to watch the movie, I would suggest reading the book first. But if you can't wait *sigh*, then simply watch it, read the book, then re-watch the movie with the thoughts and added things from the book in mind, it really effects how you see the movie. 

Which leads to the last thing I would like to add. If you are one of those, who has read the book, and you watch the movie. You will like it so much more. Because as I said above, you can see it all on her (Rosie) face. When your watching it, and one of the heartbreaking scenes happen (If you've read it, you know the ones I am referring to), when you look at her face; you can tell what she's thinking, and it makes her emotions so much more real, its like you can read her mind (Because technically you can/have) and you are able to read it all on her face. Like I said, I'm not good with words, and I'm finding it really tough to explain. But please, dear please. Consider watching/reading the movie/book, It's amazing.

Rate: 10/10
Favorite character: ROSIE DUNNE ROSIE DUNNE ROSIE DUNNE.
Should you watch it?: YES. Not even a debate.

Now I will leave you with my two favorite quotes from the film/book

No comments:

Post a Comment